Cystic fibrosis (CF) is a genetic disorder. Patients with CF have inherited two copies of the defective CF gene, one copy from each parent. Both parents must have at least one copy of the defective gene. CF causes severe damage to the lungs; in addition, it also affects the pancreas, liver, kidneys and intestine as well. If the CF is for long-term then the patient faces difficulty in breathing and coughing (including mucus flow) due to frequent lung infections. Other symptoms also include sinus infections, poor growth, fatty stool, clubbing of the fingers and toes, and infertility in most males. Degrees of symptoms differ from patient to patient.
Cystic fibrosis affects the cells which produce mucus, sweat and digestive juices. These secreted fluids are normally thin and slippery; but for the patients suffering from cystic fibrosis, a defective gene causes the secretions to become sticky and thick. Instead of acting as a lubricant, the secretions plug up tubes, ducts and passageways, especially in the lungs and pancreas. In the pancreas, the mucus prevents the release of digestive enzymes which allow the body to break down food and absorb vital nutrients.
Factors Influencing Market Scenario:
As per the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Patient Registry in the United States, more than 30,000 people are living with cystic fibrosis (globally more than 70,000 patients). Approximately 1,000 new cases of CF are diagnosed each year. More than 75 % of people with CF are diagnosed by the age of 2 years.
Rising incidences of Cystic Fibrosis is one of the important drivers for Cystic Fibrosis Therapeutics Market. Increase in geriatric population and growing awareness about the cystic fibrosis therapy will boom the market. In addition, R&D initiatives, technological advancements and improved healthcare facilities are the key factors fueling the growth of the market. Increase in government support is expected to fuel industry demand. However, introduction of generic drugs is the major restraining factor hampering the growth of cystic fibrosis therapeutics market.
Geographies analyzed in this research report, includes major four regions such as North America, Europe, Asia Pacific (APAC), and Latin America, Middle East & Africa (LAMEA). In the Asia Pacific region, China and India are expected to witness the fastest growing market. Some of the key driving factors in the emerging countries are large pool of patients, rising government funding, and increasing R&D investment. North America is also expected to dominate the market owing to large number of geriatric population along with high level of research and development activities which fuel the growth of the market in this region.
The global Cystic Fibrosis Therapeutics market comprises some of the key players such as AbbVie, Inc.; Allergan; AstraZeneca; F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd.; Genentech, Inc.; Gilead Sciences, Inc.; Merck & Co., Inc.; Novartis International AG; Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd. and Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc.;
• In May 2018, Celtaxsys announced that it completed its Phase 2b trial assessing the safety and effectiveness of acebilustat (formerly CTX-4430) for cystic fibrosis (CF). The company is supposed to release clinical trial results in the month of July 2018.
• In May 2018, a research study conducted by a Michigan State University suggests that an antibacterial compound found in toothpaste, known as triclosan, may be part of a future cystic fibrosis (CF) treatment. The research was published in the journal Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy.
• According to an observational study by researchers, after long-term treatment with Kalydeco (ivacaftor), Cystic fibrosis (CF) patients showed improved clinical outcomes and less disease progression. The research was published in the journal Thorax. Data was collected from the U.S. and U.K. cystic fibrosis registries. Researchers found that Kalydeco-treated CF patients had a significantly lower risk of death, pulmonary exacerbation, hospitalization, transplant, prevalence of CF-related complications, and pathological microorganisms, in addition to improved lung function.
• In November 2017, a clinical trial led by a pharmaceutical company, NIDDK, and additional support from other organizations found that a combination of two medications provides significant clinical benefit in a subgroup of patients with cystic fibrosis (CF).
Cystic Fibrosis Therapeutics Market Segmentation
By Drug Class:
• CFTR modulators
• Pancreatic enzyme supplements
By Route of Administration:
• Oral drugs
• Inhaled drugs
o North America
- Rest of Europe
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia-Pacific
- Saudi Arabia
- South Africa
- Rest of LAMEA